Disability is often treated as though it were a deviation from the rule. In fact, it is not an anomaly. One out of five persons in the U.S. has an impairment, yet disability is perceived as an “oddity” rather than as a natural occurrence.
i imagine adulthood to be like one of those “choose your own adventure” books except each choice is terrible
you encounter your first PAYCHECK. it is MEAGER and will BARELY BE ENOUGH to pay your BILLS
to pay your rent for this week but starve, turn to page 97
to buy food at the risk of becoming homeless, turn to page 109
to give up on life and just spend the money on hookers and blow, turn to page 69
Secretary of State Clinton showed up to answer tough and sometimes ridiculous questions regarding the deadly September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. In the process, she offered a tutorial for today’s young women.
1) When a man asks you a question and then refuses to look at you as you answer, just keep going. Don’t let his rudeness silence you.
2) When he interrupts you, return the favor.
3) When he says things you know are not true, correct him. Repeatedly.
4) When he attempts to bully you, mow him down with facts.
5) And whenever possible, smile. Nothing rattles an angry man like a woman who looks happy to annoy him.
A couple of weeks ago I turned up to my dance class early, my teacher and the teacher of the previous class were talking about eating disorders.
The teacher from the previous class said:
‘if a girl turned up anorexic to my class I would send her home and tell her not to come back until she was healthy. That is not safe.’
It just made me happy that not all professional dancers are all about image, especially with ballet teachers. It was great to see my own teachers promoting health <3
there is nothing romantic about
- not knowing you’re beautiful
- loving someone until they learn to love themselves
please stop romanticizing low self esteem.
it’s one thing to love a person who happens to have low self esteem
it’s another thing to frame low self esteem as a desirable trait.